Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Butter Battle #1

Well, we made butter. Here are some observations about the process.
1. It's like magic watching the milk and cream suddenly turn into butter.
2. You have to shake it for a very long time, much longer than I would have suspected. That might have had something to do with my little helpers' shaking techniques. They were a bit lethargic. It was a heavy jar though. Also, A was more concerned with her chef's outfit than shaking vigorously. She's such a girl.

3. You should stop shaking sooner. The loose butter gets looser if you keep shaking, not firmer. After watching the kitchen happen the way it did, I was a little surprised by this.
4. Fresh butter tastes really good, crazy good, amazing.
5. Watching milk ooze up from the butter is weird.

6. My butter never got firm enough to make a ball and rinse in cold water.
7. I think #6 means we need to eat it quickly before it has time to spoil. According to what I've read, leaving excess liquid in the butter leads to faster spoilage.
8. I don't think spoilage will be a problem since my children are begging to eat it with a spoon instead of waiting for rolls at dinner.
9. I said no.
10. I licked some butter off my finger when they weren't
looking.
11. They were really looking.
12. I got caught.
13. Everyone got to lick butter off of a finger, no spoons.
14. This led to knowing #4.

No comments:

Post a Comment