Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Late Night Activity and Perceptions

I've got a little problem except that really, it's a big problem. It happens all the time. First, I get an idea. Then, I start planning. Next, I do some research. (Thank you Google.) I draw up some plans and I procure materials. The next logical step would be to start whatever project I'm planning, but surprisingly, I don't. This is where I start doubting and thinking way too much. Then, I begin altering my plans, the plans that make sense, but for some reason, I can't do what I've already decided to do. I add to the plan. I elaborate. I complicate. I hesitate. After this period of time (which sometimes goes on indefinitely), I begin. At some point, when I've done too much to turn back, I realize that my plan is crazy but I have to keep going and finish. It happens to me time and time again, but each time I come up with a new idea, I don't think it's crazy at all. It is though. They always are by the end.

Here's my current example. I decided to make L. a quilt for her 4th birthday. I imagined a simple quilt of large squares with a few circles sewn randomly to represent polka dots. The quilt would be twin sized. Then, I started looking into quilt dimensions. I planned my squares. I bought cloth. I even drew a diagram! Then, the troubles (insanity) took hold. A full sized quilt is close in size to a twin. I reasoned that a full sized quilt would be more useful to own in the end. I wasn't creating a child's bedding here. I was crafting an heirloom! I decided to add a few blocks to make it larger. Then I added a few more because I hate quilts that don't cover the mattress. What if my child has a thick mattress as an adult? I would have failed her! I added a few more blocks. I realized I didn't have enough cloth. I bought more. I started cutting blocks. I started running out of time. (Her birthday is February 19. I started cutting January 28.) I cut and cut. I made my wrist start hurting again. I wrapped my Ace bandage on it and plowed on. I began sewing. It was nervous, precise work. I got a crick in my neck and a cramp in my lower back. I continued. Last night, I finished sewing the last of the blocks together. Mind you, this is only the background. I still have the circles, backing, quilting, and binding to go. Most of that is handwork. I'm in trouble. Here's a picture.

I know it doesn't seem impressive. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, right? I should mention that each block is 12 inches square. You're looking at 56 square feet of quilt top. In my mind, it didn't seem that big. It is though. It's huge. Wacko perceptions. 

I'm insane. It's certifiable now.

I'm also in trouble. 18 days. Good gravy!

No comments:

Post a Comment