Friday, August 5, 2011

An Ode to Summer

An Ode to Summer

written by Mme Hester (as she contemplates the coming year)

Summer,
Why hast thou forsaken me?
Is it because I do not worship the sun
And the (not so) great outdoors?
Is it because I spent your season crocheting the doily that would never end?
Is it because you know that you are not my favorite season?
It is not my fault that July makes me want to cry with its’ hot weather
And that the very thought of going outside
Makes me feel despair deep down in my heart.
It is not my fault that you are filled with endless, unfinished lists
Of things I will never do.
I looked upon you with such hope
When June was but a young child.
Where has your promise of hope gone?
Where have you hidden away your joys?
I feel the creeping gray inching its’ way into my soul.
The loss of freedom is palpable in the air.
Summer, oh summer!
Why hast thou forsaken me to face the first day of school?

No comments:

Post a Comment