Monday, April 30, 2012

18 Years Later

Last Friday evening, my husband drove an hour to visit the funeral home and pay his respects to the loved ones of his high school Latin teacher. He hasn't been in her class for 18 years, but he went. She left that sort of impression. It made me think a lot about my impact in the world. How many students that I have this year would visit the funeral home 18 years from now if I died? Moreover, students from much further back in her 41 year career paid their respects. She touched thousands of lives and the evidence was there at the funeral home and at the memorial service the following day. It's amazing.

Am I an 18 year teacher? Would students from 10 years ago come if I live another 30 years? I like to think I've made that kind of impact but I can't be certain. Life is always uncertain. I can always hope though. I've poured a lot of my heart and soul into this job. I hope it's been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment